BEGINNERS SHIBORI with Rob Jones
£55.00 one-day class, 10.00 am - 4.30 pm
Suitable for complete beginners, in this workshop you will learn basic Shibori stitching and binding techniques before dyeing your work in the Indigo vat.
During the course you will learn about:
- The basic kamosage knot used to secure all bound work.
- How to make the kumo (spiderweb), bai (seashell) and ne maki (bound beads) patterns using binding.
- The 3 basic stitchs - nui (running stitch), ori nui (teeth) and maki nui (twist stitch).
- How to create filled shapes (maki-age) using stitching and binding.
- How to make the Kartamatsu (larch pattern) using stitched circles.
- How to dye your fabrics in a genuine indigo vat.
- Instructions on how to create and maintain your own indigo vat at home will also be provided.
ABOUT THE TUTOR
Rob Jones is a Textile Designer specialising in the Japanese resist dyeing technique 'Shibori', meaning to wring or to squeeze. Having discovered shibori at West Dean College, Rob went on to study in Japan under indigo dye guru Bryan Whitehead. His passion lies in finding the new in the old, building on the tradition and centuries of skill that shibori has behind it.
Rob will be bringing along samples of his work to the workshop (some of which will be available for purchase), as well as Shibori books should anyone wish to continue their practice at home.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING TO THE CLASS?
The class price includes the use of the indigo dye and special threads and tools needed.
All you'll need to bring along is:
- Fabric (can be purchased on the day)
- Needles, scissors, unpicker & fabric marker (can be purchased on the day)
- Gloves and apron
CLASS LEVEL: BEGINNER
This class requires no prior knowledge and is perfect for beginners.
NEXT CLASS DATES
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL CLASSES ARE SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC.
We are currently unable to give future dates or take bookings whilst things remain uncertain.
Thank you for your patience during this time.